My brother after returning from a trip starting acting very strange. He would say weird things and now doesn't talk to anyone at all. He has been sitting outside for 2 months now. He has even spit on our mother. At first we thought there was something psychologically wrong with him. However when we took him to a mental doctor he talks as if he is fine. We think he is either possessed by a Jinn or some magic was done to him. How can you tell if someone is possessed or if magic was done to them? How do you remove it? My mother is getting very sick over this.
Praise be to Allaah
People who have had experience with such situations have related that the following are among the signs of a person who is possessed by jinn (or Satan):
1. Strong repulsion when hearing Qur’aan or Aathaan (call for prayers).
2. Episodes of losing consciousness and/or epileptic attacks, especially when
Qur’aan is recited for the possessed person.
3. Frequent nightmares during sleep.
4. Tendency to avoid people accompanied by out-of-the-norm behavior.
5. The jinn who possesses him might speak when Qur’aan is recited for the possessed person
6. Madness, as stated in the Qur’aan (interpretation of the meaning): "Those
who devour usury will not stand except as stands one whom Satan by his
touch hath driven to [epileptic] madness…"2:275 As for a person struck
by magic he might experience the following:
It should be noted that if a person experiences
some of the above symptoms this does not necessarily mean that he is either
possessed by a jinn or struck by black magic. It might be due to
physiological or psychological reasons.
As for curing this condition
the following steps are recommended:
1. Putting one’s trust in Allah with sincere belief that He is the only cure for
2. Reading Qur’aan and known supplications expressing seeking refuge, the most important and effective of which is sura 113 and 114, Al-Falaq and Al- Naas, which were used to cure the Prophet himself. Surah 112, Al-Ikhlaas,
is recommended along with them, as well as the opening chapter of the
Qur’an, Al-Fatihah. To cure black magic some have successfully used
seven lotus-tree leaves. The leaves should be crushed, then mixed them
with water enough for taking a bath. The following verses from the Quran
are then recited: verse Al-Kursi (2:255), surah Al-Kafiroon (109), surah 112,
113, 114; the verses which mention magic, which are: in surah Al Baqarah
(2:102), Al-A’raaf (3:117-119), Yunus (10:79-82), and Taha (20:65-69).
The possessed person drinks some of the water, and the rest is used to give him a bath.
1. Removing the elements of magic as was done by the Prophet when he
was struck by black magic by a Jewish man called Lubaid Ben Al-‘Aasim.
2. Eating seven Aa’liya Al-Barniy dates (among the dates of Al-Madinah) first
thing in the morning; if not possible, any dates will suffice, by the will of
3. Cupping--removing excess blood.
And we ask Allaah to cure your brother and ease your hardship and his, as He is the One who cures and there is no one else who can cure.